Christmas night. It is VERY calm & quiet right now :) I'm at the house on campus eating a brownie & ice cream all alone, as a resident is back in her room 'sick'. The other's are at the school playing games in the gym. It's been a very different Christmas this year. We've had 3 residents here with us today - 3 are home with families. I feel like we've missed out on alot this Christmas, but I've learned...2 years ago, and again this year, that it's not about making every family get together, being in on all the 'fun' of the Christmas season, making gobs of Christmas goodies, giving the PERFECT Christmas gift...inevitably overlooking the TRUE meaning of Christmas. I've learned it's a time to reflect. A time to appreciate CHRIST and all he has done in our life. A time to 'recommit' my life to Christ & to think about the areas I need to improve on. A time to just be with those I love & appreciate their place in my life. It's all to easy for this girl to get so wrapped up in the Christmas season. I DO love gifts...getting & giving! I do loooove Christmas goodies...shopping...games... everything that comes with this time of year! But all that stuff has become less important. 2 years ago, Christmas was spent sitting around Dad's bedside, waiting. Knowing he would soon be in Jesus' arms, but still...we had him 'with us'. It didn't really FEEL like Christmas. Now, 2 years later...another Christmas that just doesn't 'feel' like it. The reality that Dad's not here anymore, is very clear now! It's tough...it stinks!...but it's the way GOD wants it to be. The reality that things just aren't going to be 'the same' now that we're here is becoming more clear as well. But again, I know good & well it's GOD'S perfect & holy plan!
Things really have gone well so far. Yeah...it can be tough. I feel like we neglect our kids sometimes, & at times are faced with tough decisions, but we're learning how to respond by what's BEST for these kids, and not just overlooking things so we're 'liked'! Sorry this turned into a very long, random 'unloading' post. I hope each of you have been blessed this Christmas, and that you know that wherever you are, and whatever you're going through...God is right there with you! :)
Merry Christmas!
7 comments:
Thanks for sharing. Tim & I are also being reminded of the importance of Christmas, and that it is not all about family and fun. We're praying for you, and we will see you Sunday!
Thanks for the post Kristy. It's good to be reminded of the true reason for this season. I'm praying for you as these times of year can bring such sadness with it when we remember those we miss. I love you,
bek
Thanks for sharing, Kristy. Being on duty and missing family get-togethers is one sacrifice of this job but I am glad to see you have found a positive perspective to it. I see you have New Year's off so I hope you get to enjoy it to it's fullest :)
Great post, Kristy...I can only imagine what this Christmas is like for you! I too am a lover of both getting and giving gifts and all the hustle and bustle. But it's so important to remember why we are truly celebrating. Praise God!
I love hearing you heart Kristy! Thanks for sharing and know that you're in my prayers!
Thanks for the post Kristy! I've been thinking of you and your family and praying for all of you as I know that you all miss Dick so much. I miss him too.
I totally do the same thing at Christmas... reflect on all Christ has done, the holiness of His birth and life, what it must have been like for Mary and Joseph. And thinking of areas to improve on in the coming year.
Love to you! BTW did you meet someone at Mika's when you were home? I think I saw you walking in there one day!
Wendy - yes, I met Erin there! You should have stopped in! :)
Post a Comment